Translate

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Winners and Losers


Katie Walsh

My granddaughter Kelsy Rae
A Winner
I can't get over the resemblance that Kesy has to Katie.  A raw and brave natural beauty. When I first stumbled upon Spencer Murphy's winning photograph of Katie Walsh I thought immediately of Kelsy.

Spencer Murphy has won the £12,000 Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2013 with a photograph of  Katie Walsh, an Irish jockey who came third in the Grand National 2012 and is probably one of the best, if not the best, female jump jockeys currently riding in the UK.
Taken at Kempton Park Racecourse the winning portrait of Katie Walsh was photographed whilst shooting a series of jump jockeys' portraits for Channel Four's The Original Extreme Sport campaign. ‘I was keen to include Katie,’ says Murphy: ‘I wanted to show both her femininity and the toughness of spirit she requires to compete against the best riders in one of the most demanding disciplines in horse racing. I chose to shoot the series on large format film, to give the images a depth and timelessness that I think would have been hard to achieve on a digital camera’. 

Katie Walsh rides Seabass to third place the highest ever finish for a female rider in the Grand National 
Photo: Getty Images

Grand National 2012: Katie Walsh breaks new ground for women coming third on Seabass.  Ted Walsh insisted that “one day a woman will win the Grand National” after the trainer saw his daughter, Katie, partner Seabass to finish third at Aintree – the best placing ever achieved by a woman in the race. 

By a nose: Neptune Collonges pips Sunnyhillboy at the post to win the closest-run Grand National in history

And then there's the down side:
 
 Carnage: Horses jump Beechers Brook at the start of the race. There were two confirmed fatalities.  Only 15 out of the 40 horses that started the race, finished. 

The problem is compounded by the uniquely arduous nature of the Aintree course, which is four-and-a-half miles long, having been extended by half-a-mile in 1975. The horses have to jump over 30 fences, which themselves are larger than those on any other course in Britain.

According to Pete ridden by Harry Haynes, left, falls after jumping Becher's Brook. The horse later had to be put down

Synchronised (circled in red) starts to fall after jumping the notoriously difficult Becher's Brook during the Grand National
In one of the most dramatic of the 165 Nationals, Synchronised’s bid to become the first horse to complete the Gold Cup-Grand National same season double since Golden Miller in 1934 ended dreadfully when he fell at Becher’s on the first circuit, unseating champion jockey AP McCoy, and then suffered a fatal injury as he continued riderless over the next few fences. 

2 comments:

  1. Remove my photograph now - all rights are reserved - or I will report this blog to Google for copyright infringement. You do not have my permission to use it and you have ignored all the copyright notices on my blog.

    see http://makingamark.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/tips-for-repelling-plagiarist-bloggers.html

    Next time try asking people if you can use their protected image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Katherine,
      I just found your above comment a few minutes ago today. I had no idea that the photograph in question, "Spencer Murphy with his portrait of jump jockey Katie Walsh" was taken by you and therefore your property. Please accept my apology, I shall remove it. In trying to recall or retrace the events or thought processes that brought Spencer Murphy's photo of Katie to my attention I feel certain that I stumbled upon it in The Guardian and was amazed by Katie's resemblance to my granddaughter Kelsy Rae. They have the same kind of rugged beauty. I also feel certain that your photo was in the Guardian article beneath the portrait of Katie. I assumed, because there was no credit beneath it, that it was taken by someone associated with the Taylor Wessing judging committee or gallery or by someone from the Guardian. I am not a plagiarist. I abhor plagiarism. To state that I have ignored all copyright notices on your blog is frankly, bizarre since I have never known of or been on your blog until a few minutes ago in order to make some sense out of your complaint. And, in checking out your blog for the very first time today, I see that you do not credit yourself as the photographer of Spencer Murphy standing next to his prize winner. Be that as it may, I will remove the photo. You might try being a little kinder and not jumping to conclusions before making a civil inquiry. Leocadia

      Delete