Translate

Friday, January 10, 2014

The Light of the World



The Light of the World (1853–54)
by William Holman Hunt 

 Revelation 3:20: 
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me". 

According to Hunt:
 "I painted the picture with what I thought, unworthy though I was, to be by Divine command, and not simply as a good Subject." The door in the painting has no handle, and can therefore be opened only from the inside, representing "the obstinately shut mind". Hunt, 50 years after painting it, felt he had to explain the symbolism

Self Portrait
William Holman Hunt (2 April 1827 – 7 September 1910)

 I'm very fond of Hunt's work and will be posting more of it in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment