Translate

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Good Old Days


The little director:  "Alright people, that's a wrap!"

My father filmed our lives starting about 1942.  A few years before he died he had all of his old 8 mm reel to reels put on  Video Home System, better known as VHS tapes or cassettes.  He gave all of us "4 kids" the best of all Christmas gifts: a documentary of our lives, almost 4 hours long on two vhs tapes aptly named Ruth and Pete Family, parts 1 and 2.  This year everything was moved up a notch, technically speaking, and the tapes were transferred to DVD format.  Each of our 5 children received a two disc set of the Ruth and Pete Family documentary this Christmas and were thrilled, almost overwhelmed with joy and appreciation, saying "This is the greatest gift ever."

Currently, I am in the process of editing the discs.  The film clips are not in chronological order, kind of like a crazy quilt, scraps of fabric placed here and there randomly.  It's going to be quite a project, but I'm enjoying every minute of it.  I copied the discs to my desktop to find they were conveniently divided into segments and frames.  Two long days of working on this project has (have?) netted me six short videos which I've enhanced and uploaded  to Youtube, keeping original versions as well.  I've also added music more appropriate to the content and sweeter to the ear, my ears at least..  Looks like I'm going to be busy for months. 

 










No comments:

Post a Comment