Translate

Friday, June 7, 2013

Dancing with Gramma



I'm attracted to walking sticks and canes.  Not sure why.  This is part of my modest collection.  My favorites are the Yucca walking stick (second to left) and the simple, ordinary cane on the right.  I bought the Yucca stick from an elderly man at a flea market in Sayre, PA.  I love the way it feels in my hands with all those little nubs.  The run of the mill cane on the right belonged to my grandmother who moved into my bedroom at home when I got married and moved out.

She died in my old bed at the age of 90 on Thanksgiving Day.  It was 1959.  I was there that day, with my husband and our first child, a daughter only a few weeks old.  I was happy that my grandmother lived long enough to see my baby daughter. She seemed so pleased earlier when I visited with her with the baby in her bedroom.  And then, only a few hours later, dinner was ready and we  all took our seats at the table, waiting for Aunt Caterina to join us.  She had just taken  Gramma's dinner tray into her. We weren't expecting her to return with the sad news.  I'll never forget the way she stood in the doorway of the dining room and calmly announced "Gramma is dead."








No comments:

Post a Comment