Translate

Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Shocking Revelation



It's news to me.  He must have been really proud (not that he shouldn't have been) to invite the newspaper into his wife's bedroom.  I wonder how she  felt about it.  I never met my great grandfather Brown, nor his first wife Laura Blizzard, mother of my grandfather. All things being equal, since the article mentions Frank Murphy, the deceased 1st husband of the 2nd Mrs. Brown, I think it should have given a nod to Mr. Brown's 1st wife, Laura.  

TIMES LEADER, WILKES-BARRE, PA., FRIDAY EVENING, FEBRUARY 12, 1937

John H. Brown, 73-year-old retired Noxen farmer, proudly welcomed a Times-Leader cameraman to his mother-in-law’s apartment at 37 West Market Street, to photograph a newly arrived infant daughter, born to Mrs. Brown early yesterday morning. Mr. and Mrs. Brown were married less than a year ago after each parent had completed varying periods of widowhood.  Mr. Brown had been a widower for eight years and Mrs. Brown for two. Mr. Brown has known his wife since she was an infant, but did not know her husband had died until he visited Mrs. Nina Root, now his mother-in-law.  Mrs. Brown was formerly Nina Steele before her first marriage to Frank Murphy. Mrs. Brown’s first marriage was blessed with nine children, eight of whom are still living.  Mr. Brown’s first union resulted in the birth of two children.  His oldest, Ira Brown, 50, lives at Pringle, while a daughter, Lena Kearny, 48, lives in West Pittston. The latest arrival was ushered into the world at 1:58 o’clock yesterday morning by Dr. Charles C. Montgomery, 924 South Franklin Street.



John H. Brown 1864 - 1947
My Great Grandfather

Ira Brown, my maternal grandfather


My grandfather, Ira, and his sister, Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment