Translate

Monday, January 14, 2013

“I went to bed and woke in the middle of the night thinking I heard someone cry, thinking I myself was weeping, and I felt my face and it was dry. Then I looked at the window and thought: Why, yes, it's just the rain, the rain, always the rain, and turned over, sadder still, and fumbled about for my dripping sleep and tried to slip it back on.” Ray Bradbury




Bobby and his band
The Globe Arena
Stockholm, Sweden
April 5, 2002

Seeing this performance first thing this morning makes me want to seize the day.  If  I do or not remains to be seen.  For now, at this moment, it's enough that it makes me want to.  I love watching Bob's leg action while performing; it's a peculiar and, to me, pleasing, quirk.  I haven't been able to find any information as to whether or not he needs, or at one time needed a cane to help him walk.  It is a fact though, that musicians often develop lower back problems.  Certainly, with Dylan's almost 50 years of nightly stage performances and touring, there would be a high probability of his developing problems that would necessitate the use of a cane.  Add to that equation the injuries he sustained due to a motorcycle accident on July 29, 1966.

The account of the accident he gave to the playwright Sam Shepard, who published it in Esquire as part of a one-act play called "A Short Life Of Trouble aka 'True Dylan".
  “It was real early in the morning on top of a hill near Woodstock,” he told Shepard. “I can’t even remember how it happened. I was blinded by the sun for a second. . . . I just happened to look up right smack into the sun with both eyes and, sure enough, I went blind for a second and I kind of panicked or something. I stomped down on the brake and the rear wheel locked up on me and I went flyin’."



  

No comments:

Post a Comment