Translate

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Woman With Blue Hair



 Trees
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
  
Alfred Joyce Kilmer 
(December 6, 1886 – July 30, 1918)


 Sgt. Joyce Kilmer,
 as a member of the Fighting 69th Infantry Regiment, c. 1918

Dear Sgt. Kilmer,
 I think your poem, Trees, is rather sensuous and goes very well with my Woman With Blue Hair.  Also, I hope you get a chuckle from Alfalfa's melodious rendition of your poem, and be sure to give a listen to Paul Robeson's version too. 

BTW, my great uncle Eugene was in the 316th Infantry, 79th Division, and, like you, he died in France in the Fall of 1918.  Unlike you, a Roman Catholic,  he was was a Seventh Day Adventist, not that it matters.  Death is the great equalizer, isn't it?  I doubt if the Great Beyond is sectioned off into denominations. In any event, that time of year certainly makes me think about trees.  Funny, so many things seem to be connecting as I write this. 

I was going to include your poem "Blue Valentine", but because of all the controversy over who is the real St. Valentine,  blah, blah, blah, I decided against it.  I don't want to get caught up in all that.  I think it's best to limit myself and stick with "Trees".  Your grandson says "Trees" isn't your best poem.  I wouldn't know, it's the only one I've read with the exception of "Blue Valentine" which I read for the first time today.  Could have knocked me over with a feather when I realized it was about the Virgin Mary.  It is about the Virgin Mary, isn't it? 

I hope this letter doesn't sound disrespectful.  It isn't meant to be.  I'm just very happy that your poem and my painting go so well together and that is the main reason I decided to drop you a line.  I intend to read more of your poetry.  I'm sorry you had to die so young.  War is Hell.

Sincerely, Leo

P.S.  I've attached a picture of my Uncle Eugene .  He was a pacifist.  


No comments:

Post a Comment