Translate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Only A Rose

My husband and I smelling the roses at Swarthmore College Rose Garden.  We never realized there was such variety and individuality in the scent of roses. I thought all roses smelled alike.  So, it is not completely true that a rose is a rose is a rose.  Some varieties seemed to our untrained noses to have no fragrance at all. The roses we are smelling in the above pictures is a hybrid tea rose named Rosa Swarthmore which I detected to have a delicate scent with a tinge of lilac, my husband thought it had a spicy smell.  

The Annotated “Flowers” Theme Time Radio Hour - Episode 11 (Part 2)


Being the 2nd Part of a Complete Transcript with Commentary 
on Episode #11 of Theme Time Radio Hour, Flowers 
Original air date: July 12, 2006

Bob Dylan: Well there’s no shortage of rose songs, and here’s one I first heard through the grape vine. It’s from a young Welshman named Geraint Watkins. He played piano and accordion with Dave Edmunds and Shakin’ Stevens. But more recently he’s been in Nick Lowe’s band and has recorded and toured with Van Morrison. Here’s a beautiful song that he wrote, “Only a Rose.” Geraint Watkins.

Bob Dylan: Geraint Watkins, “Only a Rose.” And remember, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.


Took this picture yesterday at the rose garden at Scott Arboretum at Swarthmore College

 Bob Dylan: I wasn’t gonna play any more rose songs, but how could I not play this one? It went to Number 3 in 19 and 67 and it’s called “I Threw Away the Rose.” We’ve talked a lot about Merle, so I’m just going to play the record.


Bob Dylan: That was Merle Haggard, “I Threw Away the Rose,” with his story of unrequited love. This is Theme Time Radio Hour, and we’re discussing flowers. Buddha said, “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.”


No comments:

Post a Comment