Translate

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Serenade in Five Movements or The Privatization of Purgatory


PURGATORY
 Sergey Tyukanov 
Russian artist Sergey Tyukanov works in many mediums creating both large and small-scaled, highly-detailed pieces, bringing back a familiar Western Medieval style of art with contemporary themes and subject matter.  Tyukanov currently resides in both Kaliningrad, Russia and Chicago, Illinois, USA.


Serenade de Schubert


Serenade in Five Movements or The Privatization of Purgatory

I
It’s all a load of crap and you know it. 
Get off your high horse and don’t take
any wooden nickels from the chicken man. 
I made the mistake of doing that once
and ever lived it down. 
The problem started with
those yellow shoelaces,
but I guess you know that.
Still, I should have known better. 
I was warned. 
It’s interesting to wake up and find
the third floor of your house missing. 
I tried to explain this to my doctor once. 
He told me to eat more oat bran. 
I don’t like my neurosis
being shoved under the rug. 
I keep tripping on it. 
You can laugh all you want. 
It won’t change a thing. 
They still pick up the trash
every Tuesday.  It’s amusing.
 Carlos visited yesterday
Brought me some bananas.
I will put some on my oat bran
 and think about Dr. Cyborg.
Eventually
everything will fall together and
I will get back to work on my
volcanic cranium simulator. 
The paper is going well. 
Just a few minor details to reconfigure. 
Do you remember the time we crashed
the party at the Teetzleburgers? 
Ronnie shoved gherkins into his pockets
and you played the piano with you nose. 
What was it? 
Schubert’s Serenede?

“Softly my songs implore
you through the night;
down into the quiet grove,
beloved, come to me!”


II
I wish I had more time to explore all of this 
but Nostradamus is calling via that tingly
thing I invented when I was three years old
and you know what that means. 
Dinner tonight or is it tomorrow night?
I will have to tingle him back to make sure. 
He may be out on his snow mobile
just another  of his many toys
purchased at my expense
with brain droppings he scooped
up when I wasn’t looking. 
If only he wasn’t so negative
we might could probably would
make a go of it.  It has nothing to do
with incest but try telling that to
the naysayers down at the coffee station. 
They’re so hung up on taboos.
They see them everywhere then
hunker down and develop code words
which they finagle into Christmas cards.
Like we’re not supposed to know
those messages the elves
leave on the kitchen table
are more than butter wrappers. 
I don’t trust anyone who says
“Use these to grease you cake pans.”
Nope, I’m not falling for it. 
That’s just the way I am. 
I’ll call Nostradamus later.
After my pedicure. 
Petrified in Pink or Furious in Fuschia? 
Decisions, decisions.

“Slender treetops rustle, murmur
in the moons radiance;
dont fear the hidden listeners’
malice, my dearest.”

III 
Up here on the third floor the wind howls. 
Everyone I talk to says ignore it. 
Sometimes that’s hard to do. 
Just because something is missing
doesn’t mean it isn’t there. 
That’s the first principle of
my Hi Ho Silver theory.
Go ahead.  Laugh. 
But don’t come running to me
when it hits you in the ass. 
Of course if you want to you can,
and please bring some of those
wonderful little exploding cigars. 
The one’s you turned me onto in Mississippi.
Ah, I remember, not always fondly
(except for those times
when I forget the details and
only have to deal with the gist
which never eludes me) 
the air was so sweet after the rain
and that hat you swiped from the judge
while he was screaming in pain from
a self inflicted though unintended
blow from his own gavel,
well that just speaks volumes. 
Oh, yeah.  And, coincidentally,
have you heard the news that
our favorite tropical island has been
invaded by the ghost of Annie Oakley? 
I know it’s hard to believe,
and even harder to accept,
but sharpshooters happen
and one must be vigilant and
prepared to dodge bullets
even in Paradise. 
Cough, expletive, cough. 

“Do you hear the nightingales singing?
Ah, they appeal to you,
with their sweet plaintive tones
they’re pleading for me.”


IV
I purchased a new cerebellum. 
Couldn’t resist when I saw they were
having a buy one get one free sale. 
I know, I know. 
But the price was right and I’m
thinking about giving the other one to Nancy. 
Do you remember Nancy? 
That woman who lives on
a houseboat down at the marina? 
Well, I’m thinking,
maybe a new cerebellum will turn her around. 
She’s a fortune teller but doesn’t have a clue. 
The CIA infiltrated her crystal ball. 
She thinks she’s living the good life on the Ganges. 
The whites of her eyes have turned yellow. 
She’s got an evil rash that defies treatment. 
It’s not a pretty sight.
Last time I saw her she was
shacked up with a military man. 
Jumping when he said jump
and hitting the floor much too often. 
Yeah, she’s got great upper body strength
but what good is that when you’re tied
to the pier selling bait and tackle.
There’s no fish in that river. 
She ought to know that. 
A new cerebellum might cure all her ills. 
Of course, I’ll have to
disguise it as something else. 
Haven’t figured out how to do that yet. 
She’s crazy but she’s not stupid. 
Note to self:
‘contact the support team at Biotech Inc.’

“They understand the hearts yearning,
they know the pain of love,
touch with their silvery tones
every feeling heart.”


V
Okay, back to Junior Jackson. 
He’s in purgatory. 
No date set for release. 
Junior says it’s not such a bad place. 
A hell of a lot better than limbo. 
Whoa. 
Hold on a minute. 
Someone just threw a rock through my window.
Hmmmm.  There’s a note attached. 
Hmmmm.  It’s a ransom note:
‘If you want to get Junior
Jackson out of purgatory
say two million our fathers
followed by
one million hail marys
followed by
five hundred thousand glory bes.’
Signed – SayPay,
a division of Whackanut. 
Hmmmm.  Well,
Junior’s a cool guy and all,
but that’s an awful high price. 
Not that I’d mind paying it you see,
but with the recidivism rate
being what it is, Junior would only
be out for a week or two and then,
wham,
his ass would be back there again. 
And not only that, I have certain principles
I must adhere to, like
never encourage, enable or contribute
to the privatization of purgatory.
And besides,
Junior’s doing okay,
getting three meals a day,
listening to good music,
sleeping on the grass under a nice tree,
writing his memoirs. 

Let them move you too,
my darling, listen to me!
Trembling, I await you!
Come, dearest, enrapture me
.”

by Leo 

No comments:

Post a Comment