Translate

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Language of Flowers


I was thrilled to find these roses blooming by my side door last Monday morning.  I'd planted the little bush in the Spring, it never really took off, time went by, I forgot all about it until the other morning when I went out to put the recyclables into a bin.  The little yellow rose bush was being crowded out by weeds and tangled up in Morning Glory vines.  You can see the blight on the bottom leaves.  I haven't been able to do much weeding or gardening because the mosquitoes have been horrendous this year.  Fortunately it was a cool windy day and I was able to pull out the weeds and the vines without being bitten.   If you've read my blog of Sept 6th, you'll understand why I was so happy I was to see these roses.

According to the The Language of Flowers , yellow roses symbolize:
  • friendship 
  • jealousy
  • infidelity 
  • apology 
  • a broken heart 
  • intense emotion 
  • dying love
  • extreme betrayal 
Oy, sorry I asked.  Oh well, I'm not superstitious.  Poppycock!  Wish I had an eye-rolling smiley.

 The language of flowers, sometimes called floriography, was a Victorian era  means of communication in which various flowers and floral arrangements were used to send coded messages, allowing individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken. This language was most commonly communicated through Tussie-Mussies, an art which has a following today. “Tussie-mussie” is a quaint, endearing term from the early 1400s for small, round bouquets of herbs and flowers with ­symbolic meanings.

The nuances of the language are now mostly forgotten, but red roses still imply passionate, romantic love and pink roses a lesser affection; white roses suggest virtue and chastity and yellow roses still stand for friendship or devotion. Also commonly known meanings are sunflowers, which can indicate either haughtiness or respect – they were the favorite flower of St. Julie Billiart for this reason. Gerbera (daisy) means innocence or purity. The iris, being named for the messenger of the gods in Greek mythology, still represents the sending of a message.   An Anemone signifies unfading love. A pansy signifies thought, a daffodil respect, and a strand of ivy fidelity and friendship.


Inevitably there are geographic variances; for example in Texas yellow roses represent true and undying love.
 
Yellow Roses (Ry Cooder)

I just received, sweetheart, your yellow roses
You tell me that they mean that we're all  through
You tell me  that tonight your heart is broken
But you should know I was never untrue

I'll place them near your photograph and as the petals fall
They'll  hide from you my lonely tears that shouldn't fall at all
Then they will slowly fade away and die
But I still love you though yellow roses say good bye

No comments:

Post a Comment