Translate

Monday, September 22, 2014

I love you but you're strange



I can hear the turning of the key
I’ve been deceived by the clown inside of me
I thought that he was righteous but he’s vain
Oh, something’s a-telling me I wear the ball and chain

My patron saint is a-fighting with a ghost
He’s always off somewhere when I need him most
The Spanish moon is rising on the hill
But my heart is a-tellin’ me I love ya still


 Bob and Sara Dylan at Shack, Woodstock, 1965 Daniel Kramer

I come back to the town from the flaming moon
I see you in the streets, I begin to swoon
I love to see you dress before the mirror
Won’t you let me in your room one time ’fore I finally disappear?

Everybody’s wearing a disguise
To hide what they’ve got left behind their eyes
But me, I can’t cover what I am
Wherever the children go I’ll follow them


I march in the parade of liberty
But as long as I love you I’m not free
How long must I suffer such abuse
Won’t you let me see you smile one time before I turn you loose?






Dylan, metaphysically teleported from Paris 1966 to Greenwich Village 1975.  In this case, he foresees not only the breakup of his marriage to Sara in 1968 but also that he will write a song about that love's demise called "Abandoned Love".  In this image he is in actuality, sitting on a balcony in Paris, thinking of Sara and Greenwich Village. In his flight of fancy he manages to travel forward and back at the same time.  The lyrics of Abandoned Love allow for this kind of thing, naturally, and bi-location is part of the gig. 

 
The Other End, NYC, July 3, 1975)  "During a surprise appearance in NYC  on the eve of his Rolling Thunder Revue tour, the songwriter debuted “Abandoned Love” for a tiny, obviously thrilled crowd, who probably assumed that this brilliant tune would be the centerpiece of Dylan’s next LP. And indeed, he attempted laying it down in the studio for Desire, but not to his satisfaction — that version wasn’t released ‘til the mid-80s on Biograph. Listening to the fire in his voice on this tape, you can see why; the studio version is positively watered down. “My head says that it’s time to make a change,” he sings, somehow sounding tortured and delighted all at once. “But my heart is telling me: I love you but you’re strange.” Story goes that the taper took a punch from one of Dylan’s buddies when his rig was discovered. We all owe that taper a beer."  t wilcox

Abandoned Love (The Other End '75) by Bob Dylan on Grooveshark




I’ve given up the game, I’ve got to leave
The pot of gold is only make-believe
The treasure can’t be found by men who search
Whose gods are dead and whose queens are in the church

We sat in an empty theater and we kissed
I asked ya please to cross me off-a your list
My head tells me it’s time to make a change
But my heart is telling me I love ya but you’re strange

Bob Dylan, Paris 1966 by Claude Azoulay


One more time at midnight, near the wall
Take off your heavy makeup and your shawl
Won’t you descend from the throne, from where you sit?
Let me feel your love one more time before I abandon it

No comments:

Post a Comment