Translate

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Portraits of Steve and Bob








All songs written and composed by Bob Dylan, except "Well, Well, Well" by Bob Dylan and Danny O'Keefe
No.
Title
Lead vocals


1.


2.
Steve Howe


3.


4.


5.
Steve Howe


6.
"Well, Well, Well"  


7.
Dean Dyson


8.


9.


10.
Steve Howe


11.


12.
Steve Howe






Steve Howe - I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) 






"I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" is a 1964 song by Bob Dylan from his fourth studio album, Another Side of Bob Dylan.
Dylan biographer Robert Shelton describes it as being about "the intoxication of a night of love followed by the throbbing headache of his partner's emotional abandonment and detachment."    

Dylan, introducing it at his Halloween, 1964 performance (released on The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964, Concert at Philharmonic Hall) said, "This is about all the people that say they've never 
seen you..." 



 Interview Rock Square 

RS:  You released an album of Bob Dylan cover versions that featured singers such as Jon Anderson and P.P. Arnold. Have you ever met Dylan?

SH:  I had the opportunity to meet him on one or two occasions because I went to three of his concerts at Wembley. I almost met him there. Then I recorded the Portraits of Bob Dylan album and I got in touch with his manager to seek permission to do a whole album of his music—which was a good idea because if you do that with an artist, you’re supposed to show that respect. So they gave me, “Well, Well, Well,” which was a co-written song with Bob and P.P. Arnold. I did the album and, I suppose I can say in print, the kind of albums I make have a production perspective and they are about a certain level of manipulation and oiling and fixing. It is a record. It isn’t a live performance that I did in the studio, which is what mostly Bob likes. I’ve read the book about his recording. That’s how he made his records. They were all about doing everything at once. That may put him off this record considerably because my work is not about that, it’s about a production that encourages your ear to enjoy the movements and arrangements that I brought to Bob’s songs. The tunes I picked were particularly significant to me and had nothing to do with what were hits.

RS:  Your version of “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” with Jon Anderson is incredible. One of the best Dylan cover versions ever.

SH:  Has anyone else covered that song?

RS: Not that I can think of.

SH:  Isn’t it great that Jon really took on the song? He didn’t sing it like Bob. Jon brought something very sweet to that song.
http://www.rocksquare.com/community/featuredartists/2030
 





 




No comments:

Post a Comment