Translate

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.


Paul Gauguin.  
Adam and Eve. 1902. 
Oil on canvas. Art Museum Ordrupgard, Copenhagen, Denmark.


Paul Gauguin
Parau na te varua ino (Words of the devil) 1892. 
Oil on canvas. The National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, USA.







Paul Gauguin.
 Matamoe (Landscape with Peacocks). 1892. 
Oil on canvas. The Pushkin Museum of Fine Art, Moscow, Russia.




The Letter

Dear Eve,
You must understand.  The Maserati means everything to me and nothing at the same time.  I've thought about this again and again, but until today I've not been able to put it into words.  I know that words mean everything to you and I do not say this with contempt, but with awe and deep admiration for the force that drives you to take life apart and analyze each fragment.  There are men here who do the same thing just as passionately as you though the subject matter of their thoughts lies in a different realm.  Notice, I did not say a higher realm.
This has come as a relief to me, has helped me to see you from a new perspective.  But … it does not change the way I feel about my own life, and it does not lessen my need to isolate myself from the world of flesh. It was a beautiful world.  I took from it what I had to take and I gave to it what I had to give in order to become what I have become, what I am now in this moment.  For you see, Eve, there is nothing but this moment, the rest is hearsay, the rest is gossip.
 So, my darling, Eve, this is why I say the Maserati means everything to me and nothing at the same time.  You were my Maserati.  I knew it the minute I laid eyes on you.  So sleek, so graceful, so fast.  I wanted to climb inside of you and soar to the ends of the Earth.  And I did.  I did.  I am in you now as I sit here writing this.
Can you feel me?

With undying love,
Your $!*# to remember
Adam
p.s.
The keys are in my red flannel shirt
on the back of the closet door.




No comments:

Post a Comment